Your Councils

There is much confusion regarding who does what in our area as we have three local councils that directly affect our lives.

Here is a list of who they are and what they are meant to do for us.

Derbyshire County Council

Key matters dealt with at a County Council level include:

  • education (including schools, nursery, adult and community);
  • personal social services (including securing provision for the elderly, children and those with disabilities)
  • most highways and transport matters (including public transport, highways and parking, traffic management, street lighting and footpaths and bridleways).
  • strategic planning (County-wide)
  • minerals and waste planning;
  • waste disposal (waste collection and street cleansing) is dealt with by Bolsover District Council;
  • trading standards;
  • registration of births, marriages and deaths; and
  • library and information service.

The County Council also deals with emergency planning, recreation, economic and tourism development and community planning at a county council level.

Bolsover District Council

Key matters dealt with by us include:

  • homelessness, unfit housing and other residual housing functions; cemeteries and burials;
  • council tax and business rate collection;
  • local development framework and some forward planning;
  • development control (planning applications and enforcement)
    advertising consent;
  • tree preservation;
  • conservation areas;
  • off-street parking;
  • drainage
  • street naming;
  • swimming pools and leisure centres;
  • refuse collection, recycling and street cleansing;
  • food safety;
  • public conveniences;
  • markets;
  • dog and pest control;
  • noise abatement;
  • some health and safety matters; and
  • electoral registration and elections.

They also deal with emergency planning, recreation and open spaces, economic and tourism development and community planning at a district council level.

Barlborough Parish Council

Key matters dealt with at a Parish Council level include:

  • allotments;
  • village halls;
  • open spaces; and
  • Planning – as consultees.